Saturday, September 22, 2012

Firsthand Testimonials: Outreach on the Road

Our interactive display

By Hilary Case

On the constant quest to meet the volunteer needs of the Transportation Program, my role as Recruitment and Outreach Coordinator can lead me to a variety of unique settings throughout King County.  This week, it took me to the Burien Farmers’ Market.  Although the chilly temperatures had my spirits a bit low, they were soon lifted as I met proponents of the program.  Clients and volunteers alike surfaced to remind me of what it’s all about.

One pair of women, who informed me that they use both the Hyde Shuttle and Volunteer Transportation services, came to shake my hand and thank me for being a part of such an “important and helpful program.”  I also had the opportunity to talk with current volunteers, who explained why they find giving rides to be so gratifying.  Larry Moormeier, who has served with Volunteer Transportation for over ten years, shared about recently giving a ride to an inspiring 99-year-old client.  It was easy to promote these volunteer opportunities after unexpectedly receiving such positive feedback from people who know them well.
Larry Moormeier,
“incognito” Volunteer Transportation driver,
out and about at the Burien Farmers' Market

All in all, it was a successful day.  I left with a warm and happy heart.

**Note: We are always seeking more ways to spread the word about Transportation Program volunteer opportunities.  If you have any volunteer outreach ideas, please contact Hilary at hilaryc@seniorservices.org



0 comments:

About Me

My photo
“Behind the Wheel” offers stories, reflections, news and updates about Sound Generations’ (formerly Senior Services') Transportation Program. Throughout King County, our inspiring volunteers provide needed mobility to local seniors, supporting them in their efforts to remain independent, healthy, and happy. Please drop by to read more about the unique experiences of our volunteers, clients and staff!
Powered by Blogger.