Friday, October 19, 2012

Farewell to Shelani


Shelani is off for new adventures.

Many volunteers and clients have gotten to know Shelani as the “friendly voice on the other side of the phone line” as she has tirelessly coordinated Volunteer Transportation rides for South King County.  Sadly, today (10/19/2012) marks her last day in this role.  Her life path has "steered" her (pun intended!) away from Seattle and on to new adventures elsewhere.

Preparing to begin the next chapter of her life afforded Shelani the opportunity to reflect about her experiences as a Program Coordinator for the past two years.  Here is what she had to say:

What have you enjoyed most about your role at Volunteer Transportation?
I have really enjoyed feeling like the job I do makes a difference in the lives of others. I really enjoy getting to talk to clients on Friday and telling them who their driver is. They are so grateful and happy for our service, and that is a good feeling. I have also enjoyed getting to know my volunteers. I have been fortunate to work with wonderful colleagues who taught me a lot, and I will miss them dearly.

What has been a challenge for you?
The challenge was having to tell client’s that sometimes we don’t have enough volunteers to do the rides. That’s the hardest part of this job.

What has been most memorable for you?
My most memorable moments have been talking to various clients about their lives and learning about their past. It’s so fascinating to hear the life stories of people.

Is there any message you’d like to leave for the program’s staff, clients, or volunteers?
I want to thank Cindy [Senior Services' Transportation Director] and all my colleagues, as well as the wonderful volunteers I got to work with. The connections I made with these individuals taught me so much, and I feel very lucky to have worked with such caring individuals. I will take the lessons I learned with me wherever I go.

We will miss Shelani very much, but we wish her the best of luck with all of her future endeavors.  Here’s hoping that her life journey is filled with meaningful "rides!"

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
“Behind the Wheel” offers stories, reflections, news and updates about Sound Generations’ (formerly Senior Services') Transportation Program. Throughout King County, our inspiring volunteers provide needed mobility to local seniors, supporting them in their efforts to remain independent, healthy, and happy. Please drop by to read more about the unique experiences of our volunteers, clients and staff!
Powered by Blogger.