Monday, October 15, 2012

Volunteer Reflection: French Pastries and Friendship

By Joyce Foy, Kirkland Driver

Taking time to appreciate the moment.
Volunteer driving for Senior Services has been quite an experience, and one ride in particular will stay with me forever.

I picked Frances up in Kirkland and drove her to her scheduled doctor appointment.  On the way home she asked if I would mind if we swung by a new French bakery in town.

It was one of “those days” for me – my to-do list was a mile long and my first thought was, “No way, I just don’t have the time.”  But then I decided, “Well, it’s only a couple of miles out of the way, how long could it take?”

When we arrived at the bakery I parked the car and helped her into the store with her walker.  Instead of getting something to go, as I had assumed she would, she ordered a French pastry and coffee and offered to buy me whatever I wanted.

Uh oh, this wasn’t going to be a real quick stop.  I began to mentally reschedule my plans for the day.

The bakery was packed and all seats were taken.  Even though Frances was using a walker, no one volunteered a seat.  Wondering how she could eat balancing French pastry, coffee and a walker, we decided to go outside where there were some chairs set up on the sidewalk.  We scooted our chairs up to a retaining wall which became our makeshift table.

Frances was amazing.  She was so appreciative of everything.  It was a sunny but cold day.  Frances saw the sunshine.  She remarked on the birds eating nearby and the flowers that were so pretty, the delicious pastry, and the great coffee.  She never mentioned the goose bumps we were both experiencing from the chilly temperature or the fact that no one offered her a seat inside.

We sat and talked and enjoyed each others’ company.  My to-do list wouldn’t get done, but it didn’t seem to matter much now.  Frances was so happy just to be out and doing something new, and I was feeling quite blessed to be in the company of someone so positive.

At last, it was time to go.  She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, “I can’t thank you enough.  This meant the world to me.  Tomorrow I will turn 92, and this is my birthday celebration.”

My to-do list lost all its importance and I hugged my new friend.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
“Behind the Wheel” offers stories, reflections, news and updates about Sound Generations’ (formerly Senior Services') Transportation Program. Throughout King County, our inspiring volunteers provide needed mobility to local seniors, supporting them in their efforts to remain independent, healthy, and happy. Please drop by to read more about the unique experiences of our volunteers, clients and staff!
Powered by Blogger.